What Is Genetic Engineering In Food?
Genetic Engineering in food is a process different from the practice of breeding the best specimens of a given organism to motivate certain features. It folds up excellent plants and animals with desired trends and breeds them. Genetic engineering provides benefits like Pest management and chemical control of insects.
Advantages And Disadvantages- Genetic Engineering In food:
In Short, Genetically engineered food means modified foods. Obtained from animals or plants that have genes from other plants and animals growing out of them. Apparently, there is a use of modified food for many decades. By using the act of insemination naturally or artificial. The new technology has more advantages with latent qualities for improper use. Advantages and disadvantages regarding genetically engineered food are as follows:
Producing nutritious food: By the way engineered plants and animals can give us needed nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Modified Plants and animals provide proteins, iron and starch-rich food. It helps to enhance the quality of healthy diet for all consumers.
Creation of vaccines and medicine: Here plants and animals engineered creates beneficial vaccines and medicines. It gives better treatment for any harmful diseases in human beings at a very low price which is affordable.
Rise in Meat production: Likewise engineered animals produce more quantity of meat. Therefore the best example of rising in meat production is the Belgian Blue cattle which came in existence from Belgium. As a result, genetically engineered animals have double muscling made possible by inserting a gene that holds in the production of a protein that acts as an inhibitor to the muscle tissue enhancement.
Health Issue: Genetic engineering of food results in allergy, mainly found in crops.
Monetary Consequences: In Addition to such modern technology to alter food, the production companies charge the product at higher rates.
Increased use of pesticides: In order to cope up with this, many farmers start using more pesticides which eventually results in the lowering of the food quality.
Some Important Points To Know
- Genetic engineering encourages physical and functional units of heredity to make an advanced variety of crops to obtain higher pay.
- Genetic engineering helps to provide not only nutritional foods, but also the increase in the production of high-quality fruits, vegetables, and crops if handled with responsibility.
- It is also used to yield new material like proteins and other food nutrients.
- Scaffold results in the creation of new organs. A scaffold kept in the expected area of new growth gets dissolved resulting in new organs formation.
- The engineered process used for gene therapy, however, acts in treating various health disorders in humans like the severe hereditary form of anemia, mainly affecting people of African origin.
To conclude, genetically modified food can help us in many ways.